Sunday, July 18, 2010

Breakfast in Graton


Okay. I’m back.

I’ve been out of commission for a while and away from my blog. Sorry.
I’m a bit blurry eyed, sleep deprived, and even a little sheepish. But I’m back. I can explain my absence in two words.

Angry Birds.

If you understand those two words I need say very little. And if you don’t, just a word of caution; don’t get started. It has to do with a game on an iPod; my wife’s iPod. She took it back; I want it back but I don’t think it’s coming back.

I may need a 12 strep program.

Then again maybe not. For now let’s talk about breakfast. Health experts like to say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I don’t disagree. I love breakfast and eat it regularly. This weekend we had friends over and we explored the area to find a “new to us” café in Graton. The Willow Wood Market Café turned out to be a cool find where the food was fresh, the fare tasty and our meal served in large portions. Plus, our friends picked up the bill. Call me Happy.

Their menu offers an enticing range of choices. We all had the Two Eggs dish which is served with home fries and toasted bread. The Café’s egg dishes also come with sweet butter and blackberry preserve. I had the coffee which is Taylor Made. Rich and robust, just like I like it.

And then there's the home fries. They were red potatoes, served hot and crispy and came in a large portion. They were fried with cut onion giving it a hint of sweet. The eggs were fresh and cooked egg-actly like I enjoy them. I take my eggs over medium and that’s how they came. Some people like them on the runny side. As a kid I can remember watching my dad crack a couple of them into a glass and drink them down. No, his name wasn’t Rocky.

And the bread! Oh my, oh my! The bread was sourdough baked at the local Village Bakery in Sebastopol. I wrote a post here on this blog about their seeded sourdough. It’s available here at the Café upon request (and more money I presume). It comes toasted and plentiful. My plate arrived with three slices. Don’t forget to save a slice for your breakfast dessert. For my dessert I spread on my sweet butter and blackberry preserves. Mmm. The blackberry preserve is Dickens and from England. Now I’m not sure why one needs to go so far for blackberries. This area only has a gazillion blackberry bushes where the pickin’ is free. I’m just sayin’.

Well, there you go. I left satisfied and I will go back. This place is worth a drive, even if you have to come all the way from Sacramento. You can find The Willow Wood Market Café at 9020 Graton Rd, in Graton, CA 95444, (707) 823-0233 and online at www.willowwoodgraton.com

Now go explore. I think I’ll go look for my wife’s iPod.

3 comments:

rachel said...

nice. where the heck is graton? also, you all got the same exact thing?!?!?

Mario said...

Yes. What are the odds that four independent thinking, unique and uncoached persons would order the SAME thing? Even the eggs were over medium. Eight of them.

Margarita said...

Mario -
I don't usually eat a large breakfast, mostly because I don't have an appetite in the morning, but this sounds delicious! I've never tried blackberry preserve, but the way you describe it... yum! Also, may I say that the whole idea of "breakfast dessert" is brilliant! What a wonderful way to start off the day! You must tell me more!!