Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Taco Truck Tacos

"Food is music inside the body, and Mexican food is a band of Mariachis"
                                                                                          -Pelagia
 
 
I never met no taco I didn’t like.  In fact, I’m headed out to buy a couple of them right now.  Not just any tacos but arguably some of the best tacos I have eaten.  And they make and serve them straight from a taco truck. Are you in?

Did you know that the original taco truck always carried a bottle of castor oil to help patrons with those delicate moments when bowels refused movement? Back in 1866 the food truck was called a chuck wagon and probably didn’t even serve tacos.  Designed to provide a proper cooked meal for long cattle drives that could take months at a time, the chuck wagon offered such fare as  beans, coffee, salt pork and greasy cloth wrapped bacon.

About 1900, food wagons showed up in big cities like New York to service night-time workers. This began a trend that spread across the country to towns and cities everywhere where these mobile kitchens provided hot, affordable meals to people where they worked. 

 Today the food wagon industry has evolved to where a gamut of culinary choices from the simple, gourmet and even exotic can be found. Many are at stationary sites, others rotate their locations and still others notify you daily of their arrival to the musical strains of “La Cucaracha”.  Yes, one can find some fine eating at your friendly neighborhood food truck.

Which brings me back to the best tacos I’ve ever had. 

The name of the truck is San Pancho’s Tacos. And you can find their mobile kitchen parked at 491 Bayshore Blvd in front of Lowes Hardware in San Francisco.  Sal and Ivonne started their food truck business in 2008 to follow their dream of being business owners but because of full time employment and schedules they had to give up that dream for 2 ½ years.  In 2010 they both made a hard decision to give up their jobs to go full time as cook and owners of San Pancho’s Tacos.

Mexican food is just a big flirt with our senses, don’t you think? The aromas awaken your hunger. The palate of colors catches your eyes. The food demands that you engage it hands on.  And the flavors dance with your taste buds till you cry out “Caramba!”  And this is what makes the food at San Pancho’s rock.    Mexican cuisine is part of their family heritage.  Sal’s love for food was kindled as he saw his mother cooking for their large family.

Today you can taste the influence of her kitchen skills through the food that Sal prepares. Ivonne is a gracious person who makes you feel like a guest at her kitchen.

Traditional tacos are usually sold with two corn tortillas. Sometimes that works for me and sometimes it doesn’t depending how dry the corn tortillas are.  At San Pancho’s they are always fresh.  But here Sal and Ivonne serve them in a way I’ve never found before. Ask for your tacos “San Pancho’s style” and besides a great array of fixings on top, you’ll find cheese melted between the two corn tortillas bonding them into a type of quesadilla taco.  Fantástico! Each one served is like a work of art. 

By the way in Mexico, Pancho is a nickname for Francisco. As Sal and friends sat around one day here in the City debating names for the new business the name “San Pancho’s” was born. 

Some of the best tacos I’ve had and they’re right here at Sal and Ivonne’s mobile kitchen called San Pancho’s Tacos.  They are available for catering. 

If you come out, let me know ahead of time and maybe I’ll join you. I’m always up for a taco trip.

Salud!
 
San Pancho's Tacos
491 Bayshore Blvd.
San Francisco, CA
(415) 275-1520

20 comments:

Nicole said...

Hi Mario, just read through your latest and it's so amusing!

I don't really have tacos in Malaysia and I simply cannot take spicy foods hehe but if you find a nice flavor of taco which isn't spicy (preferably with mayo), do tell me! :D


Always,
Nicole

mangiawithmario said...

Hi Nicole! No tacos in Malaysia? I think you may have a career opportunity in the works. Though I am a mayo fan, I have not heard of mayo and tacos being paired. But in Malaysia who would know? Heck, I'd try a couple. Nicole's Malaysian Tacos. What do you think? I'm not a big fan of very spicy either. I always order mild. Thanks for stopping by Nicole.

sandra said...

ciao Mario!
i tacos non sono molto comuni in Italia, se vuoi un tacos devi cucinartelo.... ma io li adoro!
piacere di conoscerti e grazie per i complimenti!
Sandra

mangiawithmario said...

Ciao Sandra! Grazie per visitare il mio blog. Qui in California i taco son molto molto comuni e sono molto popolare. In fatto cibo messican e' molto popolare. Anche io li adoro. Grazie per comentato. Piacere!

Pinch of thoughts said...

Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog and for the wonderful comment. I do love tacos too and I often prepare it for my children for their meryenda(Filipino word for Snack). Following you now.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thanks for your visit at our blog. Does it exist tacos with vegetables only?
Thanks

mangiawithmario said...

Part of being an Everyday Mom is keeping your children happy with healthy snacks. Tacos are a perfect meryenda. Thanks for stopping by!

mangiawithmario said...

Hi Encama! The magic of tacos is that you can put anything you want inside one. You are only limited by your imagination. There are of course the classic tacos which come with a variety of meats like beef, pork or chicken and of course fish. But veggies tacos are a big hit for many. Persoanally, I think a taco with avocado, onion, cilantro, olives, tomatoes and cheese are delicious. Thanks for stopping by!

Antonia said...

I don't ever eat tacos in my life... it seems good!!
new follower...
Casalinga&Mamma blog

Anonymous said...

Ciao Mario!
Sono passata a visitarti... hai un blog veramente bello!
Scusami se non ti scrivo in inglese...ma...sono una frana: diciamo che così fai pratica con l'italiano :)
Un saluto dalla Toscana!

mangiawithmario said...

Ciao Antonia! Thank you for following. SO, you have never had tacos? I think I see something new to put on your bucket list. And you won't be disappointed. Ci vidiamo dopo!

mangiawithmario said...

Rossina, grazie per visitarmi. E grazie per tua commenti riflessivi. Si prega di visitare nuovamente. Un saluto dalla California!

The smell of friday said...

Hi Mario, thanks for visit my blog, yours too is so interesting.
Nice to meet you! :)
(sorry for my english, i try to do my best!)

cookingwithsapana said...

Hi Mario! Thanks for visiting my blog. Followed you is GFC and google + . Would be glad if you can follow me back..
Thanks

Progna Ghosh Sengupta said...

Hey thanks Mario for dropping by. I loved this post on Tacos. We love tacos in my family and have it almost every Tuesday after my son's soccer practice.

Nenalinda said...

Good evening Mario thank you very much for the visit like that like for your comment, my Englishman forgives also as sides I have had to pull the translator but insurance that nonetheless also me comprehension. It me has been charmed with coming to know you and this way as the post on the plugs, though here am not trucks that take the food prepared to sell if I know them for years thanks to the program of food on wheels that they issue in discovery chanel. The truth not as sabran these plugs like that like the rest of show restraint that I have seen for tv but they incite to follow the truck and to eat up everything. Readily me comia one of these San Pancho's plugs in San Francisco. Again thank you very much for your words comments like yours are those that encourage me to continue improving the blog. A greeting.

Las Recetas de Manans said...

Hola Mario!
Gracias por pasarte por mi blog y dejar tu comentario.
Ya ves que he venido a visitarte,je,je.
De momento me quedo probando estos tacos.

AVY said...

I prefer the opera of Italian food to be honest.

/ Avy
http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com




magda said...

¡Qué buena pinta tienen! qué pena que en españa no lleguen
gracias por tu visita

Valentina Ermini said...

WOW!
Questo sì che è un gran taco!
Me ne mandi uno?!?!? :)